Friday, June 19, 2009

Nature is Harsh

I know, I know, a couple of days ago I wrote about how nature makes my heart stop. Last night it made it not only stop, but break.

The family of owls (5 that I can count) was hunting at their normal time and I was watching with awe as I usually do. I was looking up at my song bird feeding area and watching the mama cardinal take a break from her nest I saw the feeders were low so I went to fill them As I walked from the garage around the side of the house I caught the owls grabbing the two babies from her nest. I don't know where papa was. Perhaps they had eaten him as well.

I chased the owls away and ran to the nest to find it empty. Mama returned to discover the same thing and flew to a nearby tree to begin calling to papa. There was no answer.

During the night at roughly 30 minute intervals mama would call out to her family. It was so sad. This morning there is no chirping for me to hear. I have very few birds at the feeders. I don't think the cardinal family was the only casualty last night. My yard is filled with sorrow and my heart breaks for all of those parents that lost their children last night.

Warren says they'll lay new eggs and life will go on but I don't thin it is that easy. I truly feel these birds morning their loss. I don't think this is any easier for the animal kingdom than it is for us.

Hearts break and nature is harsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment