Thursday, August 6, 2009

Reflections of Summer part III

Our last stop was to the beach. We vacation every year at Oak Island here in NC. It is a family beach with one putt-putt, one grocery store, just a handful of restaurants, one Dairy Queen, and safe enough to ride bikes anywhere with out the need of a helmet because car traffic is almost non-existent.

We have stayed in the same house for the past five years so it holds a lot of memories - 98% good, but a couple of scary moments thrown into the mix. (Like the year Warren's blood sugar dropped too low after being on the beach all day and the manager of the grocery store called me to because he had passed out and hit it head and was bleeding and vomiting. I was frantic and had to get to him quickly - problem was, he had the car! So I ran to the neighbors and they dropped what they were doing to take me to him. You see, in a place like Oak Island, there are no strangers.)

This year I found myself more at peace than ever before there. I would watch the waves crash, and the girls play, and take long walks with the love of my life just like I always do, but this year there was no anxiety.

This will sound crazy, but I believe it was due to Face Book. I have resolved several issues with people from my past through this tool. Some times I asked forgiveness of people and other times I would ask why a hurtful event happened. I have been able to let go of a lot of baggage that I held on to for a long time and that release has allowed me to find peace. I didn't realize this until watching those waves, taking those walks, and looking for those shells.

The beauty of God's world around me felt different this year. It felt free.

No comments:

Post a Comment